Dogs certainly are man’s best friend, so it makes sense that we would want to keep our dogs healthy and happy.

But sometimes it’s hard to know what is good for your pooch, and what isn’t.Hi viewers and welcome back to our channel!

Today’s article is all about your dog and what drinks are fatal for it.The best way to keep your pet safe, is to brush up on what is safe and what isn’t.Should my dog have anything other than water?Coffee can’t hurt can it?

What about soda?Keep watching until the end because we’re gonna reveal what you can do if your dog DOESdrink something harmful!#1 Coffee We all love our cuppa joe in the morning,I know I can’t function without it.But when it comes to our beloved pets this is a big no no.

This one is really tricky because it’s not just the actual cup of coffee the dog can drink, it’s the coffee grounds, too.

So if you have a pooch that is prone to grabbing food off the counter, or out of the garbage,you have to be really careful.

One of the biggest issues with dogs ingesting coffee is the caffeine.As we know caffeine is a stimulant, which can increase your dog’s heart rate and panting.

Too much caffeine can also cause high blood pressure, tremors, heart arrhythmia and evenseizures.Has your dog ever gotten into something it shouldn’t have?

Let us know what it was in the comments below#2 Energy Drinks We won’t dwell on this one for too long but these might be even worse than coffee because they’re supposed to give you a burst of caffeine.

Again, caffeine is really bad for your animal, so this one is another big no no.If your dog does get into your energy drink or coffee, it’s time to take them to the vet.#3 Grape juice Raisins and grapes in any form are another one that could be fatal to your dog.This one is high up on our list because A) it’s popular and comes in many forms, andB) because it’s really, really toxic so you should go the extra mile to make sure your dog does NOT ingest this one.Grapes can cause your dog to go through kidney failure.

The first sign your dog has had something grape-related will be vomiting…many times.After that your dog will start acting strange and will continue to be sick, sad and sluggish.#4 Wine Don’t worry we’re not talking about you here, you can enjoy all the wine you want, but as for your dog over there?

Not so much.Like we mentioned in the last point, ANYTHING grape related will likely be harmful to your dog.

So that means those grape flavoured popsicles your kid was eating, the raisin scones your dad brought you this morning and yes, your favourite glass of pinot noir.Even small amounts given to your dog are bad.

#5 Alcohol Dogs really can’t tolerate any amount of booze for a couple of reasons.The first being the actual alcohol content.

Dogs are a lot smaller than humans (in most cases) and in general it takes a lot less of the stuff to cause damage to your fuzzy friend.But sadly it happens more than you might think.

A small amount of booze can cause your animal to suffer from vomiting, diarrhea, issues with their breathing, coordination and even death.But the second thing with alcohol is that it’s in a lot of stuff.Your kitchen pantry is one place that should be safeguarded against your dog for this reason.

Alcohol can be hiding in stuff like extracts, some mustards, wine vinegar, sauces, chocolates(which we’ll get into more later), cakes, whipped creams and dough.Keep showing your dog how much you love them by keeping them away from any of this stuff.#6 Milkshakes Who doesn’t love a delicious milkshake!They’re iconic for a reason.

But just like humans, a lot of dogs are lactose intolerant.So that covers pretty much everything dairy.You don’t want to give your pooch a stomach ache, right?Dairy can cause your dog to be really sick, have diarrhea, or other tummy troubles.

In some cases it can trigger an allergy and make your pet really itchy.Even though they will be laying on the puppy dog eyes you must resist!Instead give them some nice cold water or a doggy treat.

They’ll probably enjoy that more anyway.#7 Chocolate milk You probably loved this one as a kid, and why maybe you still enjoy it now.And that’s totally cool, but your dog can not indulge with you.We just covered the dairy part, so that’s why the milk is so bad, but combined with chocolate makes it even worse.

Chocolate contains something called theobromine and caffeine, two things your dog can digest without difficulty.Chocolate can cause your dog to experience some major stomach pains, vomiting, dehydration.

It can also go on to be much more serious like internal bleeding, muscle tremors, seizures, heart attack or even death.

Yikes!Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate are the most dangerous kinds so be especially vigilant with those.#8 Soda Anything that’s too sugary is bad for your dog for the same reasons it’s bad for us humans, it’s super sugary!Sugar can throw off your system and over time causes you, or your pet, to gain weight.

This added weight gain and constantly flooding your body with excess amounts of sugar can up your risk of diabetes, which is exactly what it can do for your dog, too.Not to mention all that sugar is bad for your teeth, well guess what?It’s bad for your dog’s teeth, too!This rule also applies to cakes, and cookies. Basically, anything with excess sugar should not be going into your pet’s mouth, and honestly, you should be limiting how much sweet stuff you eat, too.Trying to kick your sugar habit?

Watch this video “7 Natural Sweeteners that Are Much Better For You Than Sugar” to findsome great alternatives.#9 Xylitol Zai luh wha???Even though this is something you might be hearing about for the first time, it’s definitely something you have had in your house.

Xylitol is a type of sweetener that’s in so many things, including drinks!Once consumed your dog can experience a drop in blood sugar which can then turn into depression,weakness, mobility issues, vomiting and even coma!

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse, too much of this stuff can cause liver damage in a matter of days and could be fatal.Xylitol is most commonly found in things like toothpaste, candy and chewing gum but keep an eye out that it’s not in any artificially sweetened drinks to be on the safe side.#10 Cleaning Liquids Toxic for everyone, cleaning liquids host a whole mess of substances that can cause harm to anyone (or anything) if they’re consumed.

Stuff like dishwasher detergent hardly has any taste or odor so they’re easily consumed.We don’t need to tell you to keep this stuff locked up, but if your dog starts acting stranger becoming sick, you might want to take a trip to the vet, just in case.

Or another alternative is to just use natural cleaning products like lemon, vinegar and water that won’t harm the environment or anyone in your household.#11 Your Medicine Think your dog might be sick?

The LAST thing you should do is give it any of your medicine!I know, cough syrup can cure a cough in humans, but it can be deadly for your animal.

Especially the stuff with acetaminophen and ibuprofen, that’s very popular in over the counter medications.

If your animal is sick, the only course of action is to take it to the vet.What To Do When Your Dog Drinks Something It Shouldn’t:

First thing’s first, don’t panic.If you know your dog got into something it shouldn’t have you can call your local animal poison control centre, or emergency veterinarian office and ask them what to do.

They’ll tell you the next steps if it’s something very serious.If your dog starts getting sick out of the blue and you don’t know why, you’ll wantto keep an eye on them.Maybe do some investigating around your house to see if there’s a hint as to what they got into.You know your dog the best and if it starts acting out of character for any reason, heading to the vet should be your first plan.

Caring for your animal means taking care of all their needs and it all starts with having a safe, pet friendly home.Do you have a dog?What kind?Let us and your fellow dog lovers know in the comments below!We’d love to hear from you!

Write A Comment